How I Manage My Business (or try)
- I believe in giving receipts. Nothing fancy, but I always use the Sales Order Book made by adams. For any order that is face-to-face, this is the kind of receipt used. Yes, even for craft shows.
- I also use invoices. Invoices are used for custom orders, but most often for photography shoots. But guess what? I still give those people a receipt from the Sales Order Book. It just helps when I file my quarterly taxes that I can flip through one book and tally up my sales. When I sell something through Etsy, I print off the invoice an write a personalized thank you at the bottom.
- I keep a spreadsheet of all orders for the year. Basically because Etsy and Paypal have data that you can download and then I just add the face-to-face orders in there. That way I can allow the spreadsheet to calculate shipping costs, sales, etc.
- I also keep a ton of receipts. I've tried using one of those mileage books when I travel from store to store, but that has not worked for me, so I end up using Mapquest to tally up mileage so that I can use it as an expense cost.
- And I pay my business tithes (10%) every quarter.
Again, suggestions are welcomed.