I may have posted this recipe before, but I have more pictures (cell phone pics, but pics nonetheless). This is a really fantastic dish and so easy to make. Thanks, Ms. Smith!
grits (your own personal preference of style of grits)
butter or margarine
1 lb. sausage
2 cups shredded cheese (your choice; I used sharp cheddar)
1 can cream soup (i.e. cream of chicken, cream of celery, or cream of mushroom)
- Cook grits according to package directions. (I used Quaker 5-Minute Grits. I also cooked enough for 4-servings).
- Add butter or margarine to grits.
- Meanwhile cook sausage in a skillet. Crumble. (Drain the sausage if you're using pork sausage. For turkey sausage, it's not necessary.)
- Stir in one can of cream soup into the grits. (I prefer cream of celery.) Heat through. Then add some of your shredded cheese to the mixture. Stir.
- When the sausage has cooked and been crumbled, add the sausage crumbles to the grits mixture. Stir.
- Prepare a baking dish by lightly spraying with oil.
- Pour grits mixture into pan. Top with grated cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees in the oven until cheese is melted. Allow to cool slightly so that casserole is solid.
- If you prefer, top with crumbled bacon at the end.