Life as I Know It - Weekly Update #19


5 comments
I've been asking myself the question recently if running makes you gain or lose weight.  I know that toned muscle weighs more than fat, but still I was a bit curious.  After reading various online sources, I'm left with the following answer:  1) In order to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you take in, 2) Gorging on food after a run will defeat the purpose of the run, and 3) Toned muscle weighs more than fat.

[Image Source]
Ok, so I already knew that, but I guess I just needed to hear it one more time.  When I first started running, that was just it - I was running.  Now I'm trying to be more conscious about what I eat as well.  I've always been a *thin* person, even when I didn't want to recognize it as that.  When I look back at my photos, I'm brought to reality.  However, my genetic makeup indicates that the *thin* status is quite temporary.  And now I've reached an age where I have to do more than I've ever done just to stay in a certain range for my age/height.  I'm short y'all.  I have to be more aggressive.

So what have I been doing?  When school started back I've been having a * Visalus shake for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and a tasty dinner.  In between I've been snacking on things like raisins, grapes, and nuts.  I've felt much better actually.  And I'm realizing that if I have the proper snacks in place, I really can make it.  I've also learned that when you're hungry salads ARE good and although you're not a fan of nuts too much, they're quite tasty too and filling.

* I'm not endorsing Visalus but I'm giving it a try.  My dad had two pouches and gave me one since he hasn't used either.  I mix my regular smoothies and add 2 scoops of the Vi-shape mix in.  This week I've used oatmeal, fresh fruit that I froze this summer, and unsweetened vanilla almond milk.  One day I added in some chia seeds.  Not bad.


[Image Source]
I'm signing up for a Women's only 5K Run.  The proceeds go to women who can't afford mammogram screening.  The schedule is as follows:

  • On-site registration  7:30-8:30 am
  • Girls' Only Mini-Walk & Run Warm-ups with Jazzercize  8 am
  • Girls' Only Race  8:15 am
  • Women's Only 5K Walk & Run  9:30 am
  • Awards Ceremony  10:30 am

There was so much going on with preparing for the return to school, 2 back-to-back family reunions + a wedding, and then my grandmother's birthday that now my house looks like a wreck.  It's shameful, so I'm getting some help from Toni who is super organized.  No, I have to do all the work, but she's hosting an organization event to help you organize your home.  It starts today with the kitchen.  Interested?  Click here to see how Toni organizes her kitchen and her tutorial on how you can organize yours:  Home Organization 101:  The Kitchen.

abfolbutton 
 

Yesterday I signed up for an Aloha Blog Hop.    It's basically a hop to find new and interested blogs all over the world (you don't have to be from Hawaii) and to gain more exposure.  Sounds like super fun.  Wanna join?  And if you put the code on your own blog, it's automatically linked up to the main link so everyone will be updated.


Enjoy your Labor Day Weekend!


I may be linked up to the following parties:
Sunday:
Monday:
Tuesday:
 Wednesday:
 Thursday:
 Friday:
 Saturday:

5 comments:

  1. Running, walking, cleaning, hopping -- I'm feeling tired just from reading this post! You've been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I'm a new follower from the hop and would love a follow back at http://www.two-in-diapers.blogspot.com when you can! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what day is your birthday??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am now following you, thanks for stopping by!
    Myranda
    www.prettylivingpdx.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome Libby! I definitely agree that diet is about 80% attributed to weight loss/gain, and exercise is the other 20%. I would suggest trying low fat/salt popcorn and dried fruits also. Additionally - protein bars are great filling quick-hits for calories when you're working out and need to stock up.

    I eat so much now - it's ridiculous, so I just make sure everything is healthy :)

    Monique

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Bloggy comments make me smile and responding via email makes me smile even more. Due to spam concerns, posting anonymously has been removed as an option.

If you would like for me to respond to your comment(s), you must not have a no-reply blogger status. To fix that, simply add an email address in your profile and voila, I'll be able to write you back. :-)