Anyhoo, so I'm wearing this wig as yet another protective hair style choice during this winter because getting braids again is just too expensive right now. I watched a lot of Youtube videos and then made my choice. It's synthetic. Honestly, a human-hair wig is a little too creepy for me.
What else have I done?
I tried a new shampooing regime:
- Pre-treat scalp with antiseptic mouthwash. Let it sit for about 20 minutes before washing. (Makes the scalp feel tingly and good.)
- Washed with Shea Moisture's "Organic Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo".
- Deep conditioned with a mixture of coconut milk, vegetable glycerine, and avocado oil. (Hair was super soft afterwards. Will try other combinations later.)
- Applied shealoe before braiding my hair.
Shealoe is a mixture of raw unrefined shea butter and aloe vera juice. I melted 4 oz. of shea butter in a double boiler, poured it into a glass bowl, added 4 oz. of aloe vera juice and blended it until it made a slightly creamy mixture.
I put the bowl in the freezer a couple of times to help with the consistency, but I left it in too long and had to reheat the mixture and start over. Got it right the second time. You have to keep this mixture in the refrigerator*, but it is super creamy and cool to work with in my hair.
The next time I'll probably add my favorite essential oils.
Don't you just love how I reuse old containers? I have soo many Shea Moisture containers like this.
* Note: putting the shealoe in the refrigerator will cause it to look hard like in this photo, but it melts in your hands so nicely.
Maybe there's an inner mixtress in me after all. lol