I've been so swamped lately that I haven't had time or energy for my creative outlets, but since today is Labor Day, I couldn't let it get by without catching up on a little of the things that I enjoy. Starting with cooking.
Finally, finally I've been able to try a new recipe. I found this recipe for Muffin Frittatas at allrecipes.com and couldn't wait to try it out. Friday I purchased a zucchini and everything else I already had. You know I substitute when I can and that's what I had to do this time.
You can view the original Muffin Frittata recipe here, but keep on reading for my modifications.
- I used the milk I had which was Almond milk.
- I seeded and chopped a jalapeño and added that in.
- I didn't have just cheddar cheese, so I used my Colby, Mozzarella, Cheddar blend.
- Having already used my red bell pepper, I used my orange one instead.
- I will probably try this recipe again, but I will have to kick it up a bit. I like a little spice. I ended up putting a little hot sauce on my serving.
- Cilantro would have been a good add-in, especially if doing the jalapeño.
- A sharp or extra sharp cheese would be good for this. Next time I'll try extra sharp cheddar.
- I think the Almond milk made the muffin kind of spongy. There was barely a detection of the almond flavor though. Probably a plain soy or almond milk would work better, but I'm not going to buy that just for one breakfast.
- I bet a silicone or ceramic pan will work better than the metal one. The metal one produced the brown crust edging on the muffins. In the ramekin, it was the same egg coloring all the way around.
While the muffins were cooking I washed up some peppers that were given to me. They were such pretty shades of green, orange, and red. I decided to make flavored vinegars, so I placed the peppers in quart jars as neatly as I could then filled the jars with apple cider vinegar. They'll have to sit for a while, but I didn't want the peppers to go to waste. I've known others that have done this, but it was a first for me.
Finally I wanted to show you these okra chips I bought from the Fresh Market this weekend. For some reason I've been craving okra lately and these chips taste just like it. Very crispy and okra-y. :-D
Well, it was fun while it lasted. Now I'm off to be even more productive.