Although Gertrude sews just fine, I don't know how all her functions operate and I'm not a sewing-machine guru. Last night before giving way to the sleepy eye, it seemed like the needle wasn't centered and the bobbin thread kept getting caught. I think it's probably something I've done to throw it off because I was testing "everything". But since I don't know what her correct settings should be, I'll give the sewing machine shop a call. I think I'll also look online to find a machine manual that I can download.
Not wanting to break my stride, I pulled out my first sewing machine and kept on trucking this morning. I'm on the last steps and feeling pretty good. Then I can finally do something about this bed head situation. lol
ETA: The bobbin on the other machine started skipping a stitch ever so often so I just gave up for now. I love the actual sewing part, but when I can't fix these type of things, it gets to me. I only had two stitches left to make the casing. I had decided to hand-stitch the casing closed but I still wanted to have that pink top stitching on the outside. That makes it a little prettier. Oh well. Moving on to the piles of clothes that I'm washing and to my hair...
ETA: As I do not like being defeated, I purchased an online download of this old machine's (Gertrude's) manual. I have discovered the problem and fixed it! Partly it was the tension for sewing on the pocket. The material was only one layer so I needed to adjust the tension. The other factor was that the settings that the sewing machine shop left me with were not the right settings for the basic stitching. When I looked at the test fabric they always leave under the needles, I assumed that the settings were ready to be used as so. As my former geometry teacher used to say, "Assume Nothing!" I have now set the straight stitching settings correctly and look forward to finishing this project maybe later on today. :-D